Saturday, January 27, 2007

Visit to the Pentagon


" Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free". Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Today I got to visit the Pentagon, the heart of the US Defence. One of my friends works there so he took me in and we saw the place. I really wanted to see it inside to walk on the hallways that we all see on the TV or in the movies.By the way I love movies about military actions and this kind of stuff.
Few facts:
- The Pentagon serves as the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense;
-The Pentagon was built starting in July 1941 and was completed on January 15, 1943;
-The Pentagon houses a daily working population of approximately 24,000 employees, both military and civilian;
-Despite 17.5 miles of corridors it takes only 7 minutes to walk between any two points in the building.
-It houses more than 4,200 clocks, 691 water fountains, 284 rest rooms, one dining room, 2 cafeterias, 6 snack bars and one outdoor snack bar;
Well, I am sure you can google for more details, if interested.
How does it looks inside? Just like a small town,lots of offices and thousands of meters of hallways. Underground there is like an average size mall: you will find all kind of restaurants (Pizza Hut, McD, Subways etc); shopping places (coats and ties, military items, grocery etc). I was surprized to see a ...Dental office there and an Eye Doc office. I guess, those 24,000 people have a tooth ache once in a while or maybe they come for a teeth whitening before coming in front of the cameras ;)
I walked by the office of the Secretary of Defence, few other "key" offices and the Pentagon press room. Lots of security and surveyence cameras.
Among many things that suprised me (I'll tell you more about maybe another time) was the fact that...construction of the Pentagon began on September 11, 1941...Hm...No more coments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home